Well today Chance decided to come out the closet today at school. He told everyone that he is adopted. I had always wanted this piece of information come from him. I know some adoptive parents will go in during the first week of school and do a presentation about adoption and let the whole class know. However, I think that is singling the child out and is not appropriate. It should be the child that lets their peers know when they are ready. Then maybe do a presentation if the child wants.
Chance has always been open about the adoption concerning his brothers and sister at school. He talks about it to his peers, esp. around court dates and when they first come. But he has never told them that he was adopted himself. I remember one time I was at playgroup last year (at thier school) and I had Joe and Manny with me. And two of Chance's friends came to me and said "Chance adopted Joe and Manny" and that "Chance went to see a judge to have them adopted". It was cute. When Terra first came within 2 weeks later he brought her in for show and tell. I remember one of the kids in his kindergarten class asked "when did you get her?" (which is one of their standard questions for toys that are brought in for show and tell). His answer was "when her birth mom couldn't take care of her anymore, so a worker brought her to us". Totally over all of the kids head, I don't even think they even knew what he said. Most 4 year old don't know what a birth mom is, that some moms are not able to take care of their kids, and that a worker is NOT someone that works at McDonald's.lol
Chance came home with a project this week of a timeline. They were suppose to include big life milestones in their lives, starting with their birth. They even recommended a photocopy of their birth certificate. (Which I don't think kid should be bringing to school!) I talked to him and asked him if he wanted to include his adoption in his timeline, and he said yes. Then a few days later when we went to do his project (that he was going to present in front of his class) I took out a bunch of his pictures for him to pick from, which gave him the opportunity to NOT pick his adoptions pictures. But he did.
I am glad that he is comfortable in his adoption to be able to share with his peers. I hope it is not something that he will be ashamed of. That he has two mom's. One that is his every day mom, and one that created his life and cared for him for 22 months (9months in her womba and 12 months of his life). I just hope that kids won't make fun of him for it. Kids can be so cruel.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Love the pic and how you handled letting him choose what he wanted to share and how :)
ReplyDelete