Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Being brave

Let's backtrack two years - Chance went to the dentist for the first time, and to my horror he had 4 cavities. It was hard to believe how a three year old can have so many cavities and this dentist made me feel like such a horrible parent - and I believed it. Chance was so brave at that appointment and he was ok about having to go back to get the fillings. That of course came out of him being naive and not knowing what that entailed. He wanted me to go first so he watched me get a filling, and I guess that was when he got freaked out and didn't want to go. I tried to convince him to go and sit in chair - b/c the next option would be a referral for a full sedation in London. I tried for a few minutes, and I tried to put him gently in the chair and he was fighting me, and next thing I knew the dentist had grabbed Chance from behind and threw him in the chair and the assistant had him pinned him down and they just started working on him. He threw up twice b/c he was upset but they just kept working away like nothing happened. They were only suppose to do two, but he worked fast and did all four in 10 minutes. I was glad that it was all over with, but the whole experience left ME traumatized - never mind what it did to Chance. I decided that I needed a new dentist (this dentist also left me with a bruised cheek and unable to eat solids for 2 days for just getting a filling done).

So at the recommendation of a friend I went to this new dentist Dr.S and he is AMAZING! When Chance went to his check-up last year he was really apprehensive, but he did really good. Dr.S is really good with kids and took real good care of him and he left feeling good. We went back a few weeks ago and Chance had to get another filling. One of the original ones that the old dentist did was done really poorly and was falling apart and chipping away the tooth. So they had to take the old one out and put a new one in. The thought of that terrified ME, but Chance took it in stride. Not a big deal. While he was putting his coat on to leave I went back to talk to the dentist to ask if they will be freezing him and they said of course and were shocked that the old dentist did not which also would have been really painful for him. They told me not to tell Chance that Dr.S will explain everything when we go back. He also explained that the reason behind Chance's cavities is NOT from poor hygiene - but rather his teeth are weaker and not as strong causing his back molars create deep crevices. Which is also a side of effect of pre-natal drug exposure. Especially cocaine. Which Chance was exposed too. Plus it is hereditary- Chance's birth mom has really poor teeth and had a lot of dental work as a child. So now I don't feel as guilty for him having the cavities.

We walk out of the office and Chance's first words were "that was really fun mom - I like the dentist. He's really nice, can we go back tomorrow?" I told him we'll be going back in a few weeks and he got all excited and asked about going back in a few weeks after that as well! He told me that he liked Dr.S and that he is happy that I did not take him back to old dentist that hurt him.

So fast forward to today - we go for the filling. I am nervous as can be b/c I know he is getting a needle, and I know how it went the last time. Chance wasn't scared at all - until we get to the front door and he stops me. "Mom, I'm starting to get a little nervous - can we pray for courage before we go in". so we did. They called his name and off he went by himself. Climbed up on the chair, laid back and starting talking. I waited for him freak out as he explained he would be getting a needle. but nothing! I watched from the hall without him knowing I was there, and he was totally cool with the needle. The whole procedure he was awesome. He came out and asked me "did you hear me crying back there mom?" I said "No, I didn't hear anything" and he's response "of course you didn't mommy, b/c I was brave and I didn't cry". He said it didn't hurt, and that once again HE HAD FUN! He told me how the lady told him he could squeeze her hand when it hurt, but he proudly stated "I didn't have to squeeze her hand" and as we made our way to the car he told me how God gave him courage!

What a brave boy - I'm glad he likes the dentist because of his weaken teeth he just may be there more frequently. I sure hope not - for my sake! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment